Re: kernel-howto?

This is for kernel-source-2.0.36
with an alpha pc 164 lx motherboard

I am having problems getting the whole thing to compile.

First I chhanged arch = alpha in the top level Makefile.

With make xconfig (or menuconfig) I get:

	arch/alpha/Makefile:30: *** missing separator.  Stop.

The line in question:
	$(shell rm -f /tmp/GAS_VER)

I got it to stop complaining by setting the result of that line to a
dummy variable "null = $(shell rm -f /tmp/GAS_VER)", fix a couple of
other make problems and do my configure.  During the compile I get
these message after lots and lots of processing:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `kgdb.o', needed by `kernel.o'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.36/arch/alpha/kernel'
make[1]: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.36'
make: *** [build] Error 2

--
Thanks,
George