Bootstrapping (was: Re: Why, what, and where.)

Edgar Denny <e.denny@ic.ac.uk> writes:

> Now that digital seems to be distancing itself from NT ( and vice
> versa ), top of my wishlist is for them to write firmware that
> understands the ext2 file system. Get rid of that dumb msdos
> partition at the start of my disk.

What *I* would really want to have is to have the kernel itself in the
flash. Now that would make a really speedy boot process. Does anybody
know whether there would be enough space?

% ll /vmlinux-2.2.13.gz
-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     root       869779 Oct 20 16:46 /vmlinux-2.2.13.gz*

Well, could probably stripped down to 500K.

	Falk