From: Paul Slootman [mailto:paul@wau.mis.ah.nl]
Sent: Monday, December 06, 1999 5:51 AM
To: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How do I format a hard drive using fdisk "b" (BSD
partitioning)

On Fri 03 Dec 1999, simonst@WellsFargo.COM wrote:

> I'm not sure how to format my hard drive using the fdisk "b - edit BSD
> Disklabel" command (as recommended by the disks-alpha/README).

Umm, isn't it only recommended to use the BSD disklabels if using SRM?
Are you? You don't give any info on your hardware configuration.

> When I selected "b", fdisk reported that my drive had no disklabel.  When
> entered "y" to create one, fdisk printed a page of information ("disk:",
> "label:" & "flags:" are blank).  Now what do I do?  Am I supposed to
define
> my 3 partitions (Milo, swap & Linux) out of the BSD "a-h" partitions?  I
can
> see filesystem types "swap" and "ext2", but what should the (msdos) Milo
> partition filesystem type be?

? My understanding was that you should use BSD disklabels with SRM, as
you have to use aboot to boot linux from SRM. I.e. no MILO involved.
However, I may be confused here. If I am, then yes, you should define
your 3 partitions from the a-h partitions. Note that the second (or is
it third) partition with BSD is traditionally the entire disk.  As to
what type the MILO partitions should be: I use the FAT-12 type, at least
for traditional fdisk partitions. I don't know what the convention is
with BSD partitions.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/