BSD-style formatting

I am having some trouble formatting an 8G hardisk for an Alpha DS-10.
Since I need to use SRM, the docs say that the disk need a BSD-sytle
partiioning to be able to boot from the hd. The fdisk man page says that
the third partition needs to be a 'whole disk' partition. If I add
partition after that, mke2fs refuses to format them. Partitions before the
c: partition format ok. Can someone shed some light for me here? Thanks in
advance.

Ernest Johanson
Web Systems Administrator
Fuller Theological Seminary