Re: Debian 2.1 finally installed on Dec ALphaServer/1000

On Wed 20 Oct 1999, simonst@WellsFargo.COM wrote:

> I finally got Debian 2.1 installed on my Dec AlphaServer/1000.  I'd like to

Congrats!

> "Configure Device Driver Modules" never did work, but the new system booted
> ok without them (no network, though).
> Now I'm trying to find out how to add modules manually.

Basically just add the modules you need to /etc/modules, with any needed
parameters on the same line as the module name. If you want to do it the
official way, run /usr/sbin/modconf. It may be necessary to install a
new kernel image, however, if the installation of the modules failed
totally (i.e. /lib/modules/* is empty).

> I had to install from diskettes.  Even though the installation process
> recognized my cd, and even presented all the directories on it to choose
> from, the actual install always tried to read the diskette drive.

Were you using SRM? I had the same problem when I once tried it.

> Now I'm trying to figure out how to use that 8m /dev/sda1 partition, so I
> can stop booting from diskette.

Is your disk recognized by SRM? Then it should be possible (did you
remember to use BSD partitioning instead of the standard fdisk
partitioning?)

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/