Debian 2.1 finally installed on Dec ALphaServer/1000

I finally got Debian 2.1 installed on my Dec AlphaServer/1000.  I'd like to
list the following problems/work-arounds, in case there are others out there
running into the same problems.

"Configure Device Driver Modules" never did work, but the new system booted
ok without them (no network, though).
Now I'm trying to find out how to add modules manually.

I had to install from diskettes.  Even though the installation process
recognized my cd, and even presented all the directories on it to choose
from, the actual install always tried to read the diskette drive.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to use that 8m /dev/sda1 partition, so I
can stop booting from diskette.