Re: strange phenomena on potato

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Paul Slootman wrote:

> - the `man' command seems to sleep about 3-5 seconds before displaying
>   anything. In fact, `strace' shows that there is an explicit delay of 1
>   second, implemented by a select() call without any FDs to check for
>   (this indicates that it's not waiting for anything, it is really an
>   explicit sleep).  My research indicates that this probably happens in
>   gdbm_close() (in libc?). I don't have the libc sources handy (hi Chris!)
>   so I couldn't verify this. libc 6.12.1.2-0pre6 and man-db 2.3.10-69i.

I'll look into this.  glibc-2.1.2-pre07 is installed in master now, which
might fix this...I'll check it regardless.

> - the alignment trap from identd is back (that was fixed, I'm sure).
>   Ah yes, I had fixed it in 3.07-7.1.slink.1, this is from the changelog
>   I did then:
>   * non-maintainer fix reimplemented YET AGAIN (see bug #30366).
>     Doing a sourceful NMU this time.
>   * changed the version numbering as otherwise it was considered a
>     downgrade; there was already a nonmaintainer upload due to the above,
>     and apparently 3.07-7slink.1 < 3.07-7.1
>   Looks like time for another sourceful NMU (current version is 3.07-7.2)

I noticed this the other day.  Shall I rebuild it or do you want to?

> - the `file' command sometimes gives "lseek: invalid argument". However,
>   I can't reproduce this now... `strace' showed that it was passing some
>   gigantic number as the offset.

That's odd.  I never had this happen.

> Besides these it actually all looks pretty good ;-)
>
> BTW: I haven't been paying that much attention to the build process
> lately. I gather there's now an autobuilder? How does one proceed when
> wanting to attack the diff list?

Well, right now, the autobuilder is down due to some connectivity problems
that John is having apparently, so the list is once again free game.  I've
been building around 40-50 packages a day, though, so it should be in
decent shape.  There's quite a bit of work still left, though, since alot
of the packages have problems with the new gcc/g++.