Re: kernel upgrade

On Sun 15 Aug 1999, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> > Don't use 2.2.11. It's br0ken. 2.2.12 will be out on monday or tuesday.
>
> 	I will second this. The best it did on my XLT was kernel panic
> when trying to initialize my SCSI controllers. I would recommend 2.2.5 or

I tried this myself yesterday (2.2.11 that is), and the ncr53c8xx and
sym53c8xx drivers think that there's some problem with the cache, as it
detects that the script isn't running (the script that gets executed by
the 810 chip that is). I tried the 53c7,8xx driver, same problem only
worded differently :-(

I plugged in the ncr53c8xx source from a working kernel, same problem,
so it's somewhere else. 2.2.5 works fine (however the standard ISDN
stuff there does not work at all; immediate oops when loading the
module). I'll have to plug in the CVS ISDN code...

Good news is that at least the TOD clock is usable on a potato system
with 2.2.5 (August 1999 instead of January 1970).  However, this implies
that you MUST have a 2.2 kernel for potato...

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/