Re: kernel-howto?

[...]
 > > what speaks against the make-kpkg I use mostly
 > >
 > > cd /usr/src, untar the source, link linux to kernel-source-xxx,
 > > cd /usr/src/linux
 > > make-kpkg --revision=custom.X clean;
 > > make menuconfig;
 > > make-kpkg --revision=custom.X kernel_image
 > > dpkg -i ../kernel-image-xxx.custom.X.deb
 > >
 > > which is the debian way ???
 > >
 > > mfg winfried
 >
 > Hmm, never used it. What exactly does it do differently from make
 > boot except making a deb file?

it makes some time-stamps, you can track your kernelversion in
numbering from custom.1 ... cutsom.X

 > Does it preserver the old kernel image and system.map?
 > What about modules?

in fact it installs all the modules and you could move out the old
ones then it makes a kernelimage in /boot and links it to /vmlinuz
and holds the old one in /boot with version number, anyway you can go
back and install your old cutsom if you hold the debs...

I am not sure whats better I just found it more comfortable because I
dont have to think about what to put where and I know how much customs
I did on which machine and install them to other machines...

 > PS: Did you get 2.2.9 or 2.3.3 running?

I did not try

I am wondering if this is the preferred way of debian and if this will be
supported for future kernel structures... ?

mfg winfried