Re: kernel-howto?

"George A. Dowding" <dowdingg@saturn.math.uaa.alaska.edu> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> Debian slink is up and running quite nicely.  What do I have to do to
> compile a kernel under alpha?  Is there a HOWTO?

Unpack the source,
cd linux
make menuconfig or make xconfig
make dep && make clean && make boot && make modules && make modules_install

After that you have a kernel under arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz. Copy
that to /vmlinux-version.gz or something else and change your boot
setup to use that kernel. Be carefull not to delete the old kernel,
since the new one might not work.

> I also need to get my cd burner working (scsi).  My last question:
> how much space does it take to mirror debian, and what do you have to
> do to become a mirror.

binay-i386/m68k/alpha/source slink/potato including non-US are 6.2 GB
of data growing daily. Unless you have >10 GB of space and a good
network connection forget about becomming a official mirror. The
traffic is about 100 MB a day just to keep your mirror in sync. (rough
estimate)

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin