lx164 installation issues
Not complaints just observations:
I finally got what looks like an installation completed on an alpha pc
164 lx. Here are some stumbling blocks I faced.
1. Rawrite on an NT system pruduced unreliable disks. It seemed to
create the rescue disk properly, but it made several unusable root
2. I could not make a driver/module disk that would load without an
error. Oddly it seemed to work but I kept getting a barely readable
message in the background about how the file system was wrong. I was
also unable to configure any modules which I needed to do to get the
ethernet working. From the shell I did an insmod to load the
appropriate module -- which worked.
3. nsf: I was able to do an nsf mount to get the base system;
however, I again got one of those messages blips that "nsf module
couldn't be found".
4. Reboot. Got hung up when I entered the root password, had to power
cycyle. The second reboot worked and logged in root automaticly.
Also I missed out on picking the configuration.
5. dselect: For the install I got some depedency conflicts that didn't
make sense. I had to delete a couple of packages that I figured I
could live without. I think loadmeter was one of them.
Apt is busy downloading packages as I write.
Obviously I was kind of in a hurry to get redhat off, and I could have
documented a little better. I have another system to install based on
the same motherboard but from a different vendor. I suppose I could
take some better notes if anyone is interested.