Ethernet not working

This is probably a stupid question. (How many times have you heard
that before?)  I have a new computer with a PC164LX motherboard that
came with Red Hat preinstalled.  I want to switch to Debian as soon as
possible, but I want to make sure the ethernet card works properly first.
It is a Kingston KNE 100 TX.  During the boot procedure I get the following

eth0: UNKNOWN at 0x9000 (PCI bus 0, device 5), h/w address ........
eth0: Cannot find correct chipset for SROM decoding!

The file /etc/conf.modules contains the following line.  (I put it in.)

alias eth0 tulip