Re: Fakeroot

On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 11:29:26PM -0400, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Bart Warmerdam wrote:
>
> >   I will upload a new fakeroot in a few minutes. This version *requires* a new
> >   tar and gzip linked with 2.1. Without these fakeroot refuses to build.
> >   (and they are also necessary to get pipe-results from ldd /bin/tar eg).
>
> Thanks, Bart, for doing this.  I've been tied up, but realised that
> fakeroot's main packaging problem involved patching tar about a week ago,
> but have been unable to free enough time in RL to fix it :-(
>
> FYI, to those uninformed of the problem, fakeroot does a test of it's
> functionality using tar to create a tarball of a dir structure that it
> extracts, then compares the two.  If tar is buggy (which it is...last I
> checked, it had some uid/gid problems), then the tests fail and the
> packaging of fakeroot fails as well.

I hope that faure gets updated soon. There are some maintainers that upload for
Alpha from faure. These packages have to be compiled again... But they do not
show up on the difflist soon (in most of the cases). So maybe a message to
-devel is needed to point out the problems and ppl stop uploading untill that
time?

B.