Odd Alpha problem with Postgres

Hello,

A few days ago I reported bug #34738; please take a look at it at
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/34/34738.html.

In short, here's what's happening:

erwin ~$ createuser jgoerzen
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
FATAL 1:  palloc failure: memory exhausted

createuser: database access failed.

This was originally with 6.4.2-1.  I have since compiled 6.4.2-6 and
have had the same problem.  The maintainer is puzzled, and the
upstream developers don't have Alphas, so he asked me to ask here for
any ideas.  So.... any ideas? :-)

This is running on an empty database (postgres just installed) and
there are not per-process or per-user RAM restrictions in place.

Thanks,
John