Re: Bad powersupply revived...

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Oscar Levi wrote:

> I revived my development alpha by sanding the contacts of the power
> supply connector and those on the motherboard.  Suprised the heck outa
> me.

	I will second this solution. It revived my UDB a few years back
when it died. Took the machine apart, noticed that the power connectors
with the green wires (+5V board supply?) had turned a bit orange (was
white plastic). Took the connector apart and found the contacts quite
corroded (probably due to heat). Scrapped them with a screw driver, put it
back together, and the machine has never faltered since.
	Of course, I have also attached to fans to top of it (when in a
vertical position) which make sure the system never gets very hot any
more. They are 24V fans being run off of an external supply (that also
powers a few other fans on other hot running machines). They are attached
using a wood structure I built myself.
	These machines have known heat problems, and so an external fan or
two is highly recommended.

	PS. It only has a small 340mb SCSI disk in it, no large, heat
producing, power sucking, 3.5" HD.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat@nag.cs.colorado.edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |