Re: Some remarks about the Debian-2.1 installation

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:19:39 +0100 (MET), Loic Prylli <Loic.Prylli@ens-lyon.fr> said:
>> * I would have expected the contents of the above directory also in
>> /boot, but there was no root, recsue, etc images.

> /dists/stable/main/disks-<arch>/current is where you always find the
> install stuff for every arch, I agree it would be a good to put a
> symlink of it into /boot/ (altough booting and installing are two
> different concepts). Will do that in the future.

Well, /install would be fine, too.

> The README you mentioned is telling to pass the following args to the
> kernel to boot with or without flooppies:

> root=/dev/<root-device> load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=

[..]

> The Cdrom is specially created with knowlegde of where to find the
> root image in its superblock. So you do not need to specify the path
> explicitely, just tell the device.

Ah, I see. This just didn't fit previous knowledge, so I probably just
overread it, or didn't believe it. It's indeed easy if one is blindly
following instructions.

Martin
--
Martin Ostermann                | mailto:ost+sig0@comnets.rwth-aachen.de