Some remarks about the Debian-2.1 installation

Hi,

I installed Slink yesterday on my XL-300. I did this from an CD set
burned from the official Debian-CD images. Some things I noticed:

* The Install Guide (install/install.html) suggests that booting
  directly from CD is the easiest thing if it is supported by the
  system -- I believe this is not true. I found the correct descrition
  in    the README of /dists/slink/../98-03-05, which isn't that easy
  to find.

* I would have expected the contents of the above directory also in
  /boot, but there was no root, recsue, etc images.

* Booting without floppies doesn't seems possible, though the manual
  suggests it. I booted linload, MILO and the kernel from CD, but I
  needed to make a root floppy. I recall that some days ago it was
  mentioned on this list to patch the kernel in a way that would make
  it possible to load an ordinary file as a ramdisk image. If this is
  true, it isn't easily accessible as I havn't found this on the CDs.

  If it would be possible, /dists/slinkg ... /98-03-05/root1440.img
  isn't exactly in easy to remember name.

* It should be stated more clearly, that the path entries in the
  AlphaBIOS boot menu require backslashes. Also, it should be noted
  that only the error message of the OS boot path can be ignored, not
  the   one about the loader entry.

Well, I don't want to go into the non-Alpha specific issues, but I was
suprised to see two emacs versions installed as part of a standard
profile (scientific workstation).

I went to sleep after the installation, so I cannot comment on other
issues right now.

Martin
--
Martin Ostermann                | mailto:ost+sig0@comnets.rwth-aachen.de