Re: Bad news...

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 09:30:27AM -0500, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> Not that I've been of much assistance to the port of late, but I
> thought it appropriate to announce that my UDB---which was for a large
> part of early '97 the *only* Debian/Alpha box in existence---has given
> up the ghost.
>
> Since I have recently found I'm going to be moving to North Carolina,
> and am looking to buy a house, etc, I'm not in a financial position to
> do much of anything about getting it running again---especially since
> I just shelled out a couple hundred dollars for new memory for it last
> month, which nearly doubled my investment in the thing.
>
> So, although I'll be reading the mailing list, and may find the
> wherewithall to revive the machine (or get a new, shiny, faster, one)
> at some point in the future, don't count on me to be anything other
> than a passive observer---I won't even be able to see that my own
> packages get compiled for alpha out of the box.

Don't give up yet.  I thought one of mine was dead.  I thought it was
a bad powersupply, but I check the output voltages and found them to
be nominal.  The EE in me decided to manipulate the power connector to
the board...and I found that the power light flickered.  I sanded the
contacts and it boots just like it uster.