Re: Kernel 2.2, install problems

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Nikita Schmidt wrote:

> I also remember having problems with the new framebuffer stuff, which I
> had to disable.  That may be different on a TGA, though (I have VGA).

On a TGA system, you have to enable it. You probably want to disable VGA
completely, as it screws up the screen when booting, before the kernel
discovers the benefits of not using VGA on TGA.

Another topic:

When installing slink on my alpha, I had some problems, which could be
resolved quite easily:

I installed via NFS. The documentation does not clearly say, which
directory it wants as root, and it takes _quite_ long to have it find
base2_1.tgz itself. The path for me was
.../debian/dists/slink/main/disks-alpha/1998-11-15, so you can imagine how
long it takes if you take just "debian" :-/ (Just tell me that I will be
asked a second time for the root dirs, so I won't try to find a dir that
contains everything.)

The installation process also got screwed up when I was asked for the root
directory for non-us and local. '[none]' suggests I could just press enter
to get "none", but then it tries to mount "", which will surely fail. (Why
do I have to type 'none'?)

Strange things happen, if the install process cannot unmount the NFS
drive. Since debian users are probably those who play around on the second
console while installing, they should be aware that cd'ing to the NFS-dirs
makes them busy.

Last, I really missed a telnet. I had to do some configuring on the nfs
server for installing. Lucky I had a running terminal around. (If telnet
is too big, take netcat (nc), which is about 24kB small.)

(Is this the right mailing list for such issues?)

... Christoph
--
Christoph Berg <cb@heim-d.uni-sb.de>
Wohnheim D, 2405, Universität des Saarlandes