Slink release - what's left?

[ Apologies for the major cross-post - I need input from lots of you... ]

Consensus on -testing appears to be that we're about ready to ship the
i386 release. I'm adding the final touches to the slink-cd script (v 1.06)
right now. Changes from slink-cd v 1.05 up to now are:

slink-cd (1.06) unstable; urgency=low

  * slink_cd changes:
  *     handle non-US links better
  *     Copy Release Notes onto all CDs
  *     Create README.1ST - lists slink_cd version, creation date, disk label
        (from .disk/info) and gives simple instructions on what to do to run
		the installation system.
  *     Copy the full set of files for the installation manual to /install.
  *     Add sym-links for the installation manual into /doc.
  * others:
  *     Created README.1ST.i386 - template for README.1ST above.
  *     Removed test genlinks option from arch.
  *     Added hfs.map for Apple people - not sure what to do with it yet.
  *     Added mkisofsrc to packaging.

 -- Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk>  Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:47:53 -0000

Where are we up to on non-i386 boot/installation? If we're going to
release together, which I assume is still the plan, then we need to get
this sorted _soon_. I know someone (Eric? Stephane?) is working on the
sparc disks and I have some support for them now. I've seen work ongoing
on the m68k disks, too. I've not seen much for Alpha yet, but that may be
my fault.

Also, this is the contents of the README.1ST.i386 file I've written, which
will hopefully be the first thing people will look at if they need help on
getting the installation system up. Comments/changes are welcome. And
similar information for other arches would also help a lot.

====
README for Debian 2.1 CD installation.
======================================

To boot the installation system from CD, you will need to insert
either CD#1 or CD#2 in your CD-ROM drive and reboot.

CD#1 contains a normal kernel that should work for most people and
contains many drivers.

CD#2 is a smaller system based on the "tecra" kernel - this is smaller
because it has fewer drivers compiled in to avoid a known problem with
large kernels on laptops, especially the Toshiba Tecra series.

If your system will not boot from CD, there are other options:

  Boot a DOS system with CD drivers, then run /install/boot.bat from
  the first CD.

  Make boot floppies from the images on the first CD, in the directory
  /dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current. The program rawrite2.exe in
  that directory will write the floppy images under DOS.

See /install/install.txt for more information.

Steve McIntyre <stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk> 10 Feb 1999
====

Prepended to this file automatically will be

====
This Debian installation CD was created by slink_cd version $VER on $DATE
It is labelled

$LABEL
====

Anything else?

--
Steve McIntyre, Allstor Software         smcintyr@allstor-sw.co.uk
Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there