Re: 2.2.0 kernel problems solved

Hi all,

[Sorry, if I resend this, boot it is too important]

On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 04:23:26PM +1300, Martin Lucina wrote:
>I decided to turn up at work on Saturday since this 2.2.x boot problem was
>bugging me. After compiling various configurations of various kernels, it
>turns out that the culprit was setting CONFIG_ALPHA_SRM.
>
>I was using MILO to boot the kernel but I would have liked to boot it directly
>from SRM (which doesnt appear to be possible with recent kernels) which is
>why I was mistakenly using the above setting. Again, the documentation on
>this needs to be clarified.

I'm having the same problem. I when I compile a kernel with SRM-Booting
enabled I'm not able to boot it from the SRM-console (this had to be
expected, since I had to hack the arch/alpha/boot/main.c-Loader in order
to get it compile. During the read of vmlinux it says that the length isn't
right.
Using aboot with uncompressed (!) kernel works, though.

David

PS: Can somebody point my to a step-for-step guide for burning milo into
    flash? How Do I prepare a firmware-upgrade-disk?
    [Sorry for asking this question]