Re: Which device is my CDROM?

On Thu 28 Jan 1999, Martin Ostermann wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:11:17 -0800, Jeff Katcher <Jeff_Katcher@canamera.com> said:
> > The info from the log is something like this:
> > Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0
>
> > However, there is no device /dev/sr0
> > in fact, there are no devices in the sr* series at all
>
> Well, you could probable make it with /dev/MAKEDEV. Anyway, the
> sr driver is used for cd-writers instead of of the normal cdrom driver

Argh, I must protest at this level of disinformation.

For cd-writers, the generic scsi interface is used when writing (when
reading, the device is handled like a normal cdrom player). The generic
scsi interface is accessed through the /dev/sgXX entries. Note that
these /dev/sgXX entries are numbered in order of ALL scsi devices
detected (i.e. the same order as listed in /proc/scsi/scsi); so don't
try to cd-write to /dev/sg0 if your writer is ID 1 and your root disk is
ID 0...

The kernel calls it "sr0" because someone there chose the abbreviation
"Scsi Rom" instead of "Scsi CDrom".

> -- it takes the same device nummer. So /dev/scd0 should be fine, too.

The mere fact that it (/dev/sr0) takes the same device number (as /dev/scd0)
should show that they are in fact IDENTICAL and thus have nothing to do
with cd-writers.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org