glibc and egcs....

Christopher C Chimelis writes:

 > Hi all...
 >
 > Ok, after re-reading the exchange about the __register_frame_info problem,
 > I made a few decisions...
 >
 > Right now, egcs won't build due to a couple of things (a makeinfo problem
 > which I've solved and a Makefile problem which I'm still working on).
 > Glibc, however, will.  BUT, because we need to remove the HJL patch that
 > creates the __register_frame_info problem to begin with, I'm holding off
 > updating either until we can resolve the egcs packaging problems.
 >
 > I just wrote to the egcs maintainer and, given his past track record, he
 > should be able to solve this by the end of the week (he's very prompt).
 > After I get a working copy of egcs and run a test or two, I'll go ahead an
 > build the latest glibc sans __register_frame_info.

I was thinking there was a consensus glibc must contain
register_frame_info, as opposed to the crtbegin.o that should not
reference it (or if it reference it, it must contains a weak
definition as I proposed originally)
so:
- programs build even after now can run on any system (whereas glibc
has the symbol or not).
- programs that for some reason depends on it (such as all that are built
with our current egcs) can run on an uptodate system..

Loic