Re: Alpha boot floppies

> If all goes well, I plan to generate a new set this week-end.

I seem to remember that when installing some things were out of sync.
For example when using 'NFS' as an install method dinstall would try to
load the NFS module but NFS was compiled into the kernel.

> [...]
>  I was wondering if it would be better to add special support in the
> kernel/cfdisk/fdisk to put optionally the PC partitioning info at a
> different place on the boot sector (to avoid conflicting with the SRM
> boot info). So people coming for the Linux/x86 world do not need to

This sounds horribly like a kludge. I would rather spend the weekend improving
the BSD disklabel support in fdisk/cfdisk. I'm not familiar with the
boot-sector layout, but I wasn't aware that the PC partitions and SRM
bootinfo overlap. Even if you decide to implement this, I would still like
to see a documented procedure for those who would like to use BSD disklabels.

As I wrote previously, if we are going to use Linux 2.2 at some stage then
someone knowledgeable needs to fix the SRM boot process since currently it
seems it will only boot from MILO (I am using SRM/MILO on my machine).

> Note also that I have very rarely access to the console of Alpha, so I
> generally only test the boot-floppies running dinstall in a chroot
> environment, (actually in the modify-compile-test cycle it is very
> convenient, but you cannot test completely everything:-().

Well, once I get hold of an external SCSI cabinet somewhere I can connect up
the two disks lying on my shelf and use those for testing installations if
you like.

mato