Re: What commands will compile a Kernel?

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Jeff Katcher wrote:

> 	I have downloaded the kernel source from ftp.ca.kernel.org for 2.1.132,
> and have been trying to compile it.  I read the instructions and tried
> the `make dep ; make clean ; make zImage` same as on i386 and I get an
> error message:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target 'zImage'.  Stop
>
> I checked the Makefile in arch/alpha and found that there is no target
> named zImage.  Next I tried to 'make bootimage' and got the error:
>
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target '/usr/src/kernel-source-2.1.131',
> Needed by 'vmlinux.nh'.  Stop.
>
> So I need some kind of documentation on how to compile a kernel for
> alpha.

Use: 'make boot'

It's definitely confusing at first, but now I wish that my Pentium had the
same syntax (makes more sense than zImage, IMO).

Also, definitely use 'make config' instead of 'make xconfig' or 'make
menuconfig'.  I've heard some really ugly reports from people using these
since they don't seem well-maintained when it comes to Alphas (or anything
else, from what I gather glancing at the code).