What commands will compile a Kernel?

Hi all
	I have downloaded the kernel source from ftp.ca.kernel.org for 2.1.132,
and have been trying to compile it.  I read the instructions and tried
the `make dep ; make clean ; make zImage` same as on i386 and I get an
error message:

make: *** No rule to make target 'zImage'.  Stop

I checked the Makefile in arch/alpha and found that there is no target
named zImage.  Next I tried to 'make bootimage' and got the error:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target '/usr/src/kernel-source-2.1.131',
Needed by 'vmlinux.nh'.  Stop.

So I need some kind of documentation on how to compile a kernel for
alpha.

Aditional Possibly Helpful info.

Machine: Mikasa (alphaserver 1000)
GCC:2.91.60-2