problems upgrading

I am using dselect with apt.  I have tried flushing all the .deb's from my
system and redownloading, apt-get -f, and some other things.  Here is an
example of the problem:

Preparing to replace oleo 1.6-14 (using oleo_1.6-15.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement oleo ...
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! File exists
try deleting /usr/info/dir.lock ?
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 17
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! File exists
try deleting /usr/info/dir.lock ?
dpkg: error processing oleo_1.6-15.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 17
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! File exists
try deleting /usr/info/dir.lock ?
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 17
Preparing to replace wdiff 0.5-6 (using wdiff_0.5-7.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement wdiff ...
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! File exists
try deleting /usr/info/dir.lock ?
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 17
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
dpkg: error processing wdiff_0.5-7.deb (--unpack):
 there is no script in the new version of the package - giving up
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! File exists
try deleting /usr/info/dir.lock ?
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 17

This happens on nearly all packages that are to be installed.  I have
tried deleting /usr/info/dir.lock...

TIA

Lon

---