Compile out of the box with RedHat 5.2 (was: Re: Kernel Compiling Woes)

(Does anyone have known to build config files for 2.2.0-pre5 for Jensen or Noname?)

My greatest success at compiling kernels has been with the RedHat 5.2 distribution. This is because they have integrated the Alpha patches into their distributed kernel source and provided the config files they used to build the kernel used for the boot disk (in kernels/configs), the config file being the most relevant to me.

Many RedHat mirror sites don't carry the alpha tree, here are pointers to one that does:

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/redhat/redhat-5.2/alpha/kernels/configs/
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/redhat/redhat-5.2/alpha/RedHat/RPMS/kernel-source-2.0.35-5.alpha.rpm

You can unpack the rpm to a cpio using rpm2cpio and then use cpio to unpack to a directory.

I am only just beginning to try 2.2x kernels. I'd love to see config files for installation disks, or minimum configurations, so I have a "known good" starting point. Does anyone have config files for 2.2.0-pre5 for Jensen or Noname?

Good luck.
- Peter Mott

Peter Mott     |  mailto:mott@mathworks.com  |  Voice: 508.647.7375
               |  http://www.mathworks.com   |    FAX: 508.647.7002
PGP fingerprint: AAB3 CC97 3045 15F1 A9CC  ECA2 0207 FB0A 0997 8F31