Re: Kernel Compiling Woes

On Thu 14 Jan 1999, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:
> > On Jan 13, Jeff Katcher scrawled :
>
> > I am trying to compile my own kernel from the source offered in the
> > package, Kernel-source-2.0.35-3.  I installed the package, untarred the
> > file it installed, went into the top level Makefile and changed
> > "ARCH=i386" to "ARCH=alpha".  When I do a Make config, a make
> > menuconfig, or a make xconfig. I get an error message immediately:
> >
> > arch/alpha/Makefile:30: *** Missing Separator. Stop.
> >
> yah... the latest version is actually 2.0.36, and is the recomended version :)

Yes, but that doesn't help with this problem, I believe.

Edit arch/alpha/Makefile, and change line 30 from:
    $(shell rm -f /tmp/GAS_VER)
    dummy=$(shell rm -f /tmp/GAS_VER)

Same thing to line 32.

> also make menuconfig and xconfig are broken on alpha. (i believe? correct me if

True. Use can use menuconfig for the first major configuration, and
use config after that to fill in anything that was skipped the first
time...

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org