Re: Problems installing Debian 2.1 Alpha on Ruffian Pc164 UX board !

Thanks for all the suggestions !

After installing Debian 2.1 for alpha and Redhat 5.2 several times with many
different installation disks and kernels and compüiling many different kernels
by ourselves, we removed some o the memory chips and exchanged some between our
machines,. The result is that 2 of our 4 machines run pretty stable with only
very few Kernel paging requests (if we start a make -j boot for example, we get
one request).  Also setting the meomory size did not change anything.

So now we think he only solution is to test other memory modules, but we have
to wait three weeks to get them exchanged. To us it doesn't seem to be a
software problem anymore, but rather a hardware problem.

What remains is still some trouble with the onboard tulip ethernet chip.
Sometimes the autosensing does not work, but after another reboot it works fine.

Peter Biechele

>> -- The kernel did always give KERNEL PAGING REQUESTS ERRORS, when trying to
>> initiialize partitions on the hard disk. So we could not get through to
>> installing the base sstem.
>
>This one is tricky. Firstly, make sure you are using the latest milo, which is
>probably available from gatekeeper.dec.com in /pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/Kernels as
>ldmilo-ruffian-981020 and milo-ruffian-981020 (rename to ldmilo.exe and milo on
>whatever media you are loading it from).
>
>This may or may not fix the problem. If it does, then well and good. If it
>doesn't, try limiting the amount of memory the kernel sees to 224M (set
>MEMORY_SIZE 224 at the milo prompt). If that fixes it, then the bug regarding
>ruffians using more than 224M of memory may still exist. If it doesn't then the
>problem presumably lies elsewhere.

Dipl. Phys. Peter Biechele, Uni Freiburg, Fakultaet fuer Physik, Abt. Honerkamp,
Tel. (0761) 203-5875,  EMail: peter.biechele@physik.uni-freiburg.de
FAX: (0761) 203-5967, WWW: http://phym1.physik.uni-freiburg.de/~pebi
Privat: Stefan-Meier-Str. 86, 79104 Freiburg, 0761 / 50 87 20