Re: Problems installing on a "Mikasa" system

Jeff Katcher writes:

 >   I am using the ARC console (Firmware??).  I have gotten the
 > milo image from Gatekeeper.dec.com latest.  Milo loads with no problem.
 > however when I try to boot the Mikasa rescue disk from the debian-Alpha
 > links installation disk page.  I get kicked back to milo.  the line I
 > use to boot the rescue disk is:
 >
 > MILO>  boot fd0:linux root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1
 >
 > The result is that milo reboots.

Does milo seems to load the kernel before rebooting? If yes, the
problem may be simple to solve: when I first created the rescue disks,
I found no milo for mikasa, so I assumed it was a SRM-only
machine. And the kernel on the rescue disk is compiled for SRM.  I
will generate a new rescue disk for MILO. Hope it will work.

 > I have posted basicly the same information to the debian-alpha list and
 > just thought i should update you.  as I type, I am downloading the
 > latest images for other rescue disks in the hope that one will work.
 > I'll let you know if the do.

As far as I know, there is almost no hope an another rescue disk will
work. You probably cannot try the redhat kernel as it looks to be for
SRM only also. You may want to try to install SRM on your Mikasa or
wait that I upload a new kernel and rescue disk.

Regards,

Loic