Re: New kernels

>>>>> "Thomas" == Thomas Behrndt <thmsb@eangach.apana.org.au> writes:

Thomas> How did you get pcmcia to work? Also, do I need to upgrade my kernel
Thomas> from 2.0.34 to get it to work?

Hmmm, I think 2.0.34 should be mosly OK. Do not remember how I did
that on 2.0.x though... :-(.

Anyway, here's the way I did it on 2.1.x :

Starting with 2.1.118, you need a very recent version of pcmcia-cs
(because of some changes in kernel structures).
3.0.6 isn't out yet, so you'll have to use a beta version located at
ftp://hyper.stanford.edu/pub/pcmcia/NEW/ (pcmcia-cs.15-Sep-98.tar.gz
at the moment).

Be aware that this is beta code, and it will, as usual, trash your
disk, blow your alpha, burn your house and surely some others unhappy
things... Well, I'm runnings those things since weeks without
problems, but... You never know... ;-)

pcmcia-cs won't compile out of the box on 2.1.x. First, you'll have to
edit both modules/Makefile and clients/Makefile to add to CFLAGS two
flags that you'll find in linux/arch/alpha/Makefile (-ffixed-8 and
-fno-fp-something..., do not have sources at hand).

On recent kernel (2.1.120 and up, I think), you may have to edit
linux/include/asm-alpha/io.h to move '#include <asm/machvec.h>' down
to the '#ifdef _KERNEL' protected region.

That should do the trick.
If you have any problem, feel free to contact me.

	Marc.
--
Ain't no fun waiting 'round to be a millionnaire. [acdc]