Re: SX164 installation

On Wed 16 Sep 1998, Ettore Aldrovandi wrote:

> o TeX/LaTeX is fine. Xdvi, on the other hand, dies
>   spectacularly when I click in its window to zoom, kills
>   the Xserver which doesn't restart, and the machine is
>   completely locked: no ctrl-alt-bksp, virtual consoles,
>   nothing. I can only reset, at that point. Unfortunately, I
>   don't have any other machine lying around, so I can't tell
>   whether or not the Alpha is completely dead. Oh, the video
>   card is a Matrox Millennium II, with XF86_SVGA.

I've had a couple of problems with the Millenium II as well, it crashes
equally spectacularly when trying 24 bpp, or when running xcrystal. I
was thinking of trying the Metrolink server announced here today.

> o I'm still going with the RH Kernel. I discovered that the
>   Kernel that comes  with the resc disk fails to detect the
>   PS/2 mouse. So, as you can imagine, no gpm, no X. Might
>   this be related for some obscure (to me) reason to the
>   failure to load the ramdisk I and others observed?

I don't think so.
BTW, you did remember to tell the kernel to assign 5MB for the ramdisk
instead of the default 4MB? "ramsize=5120k" or so, it's in the README
for the lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr boot floppies...

If that's not the problem, it would be interesting to know what RH does
differently, so that their kernel works. Is their .config file
available?

>   nasty paradoxes... I understand I have to recompile a
>   kernel to get proper support for /dev/rtc. The question to
>   the experts, is: can I take a source package, say 2.0.33
>   or 2.0.34 and go ahead and do it or do I have to patch it?

As I've written previously, I use my XLT successfully with 2.0.36-pre-2,
no extra patches needed. See the "ISDN" subject for details.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands