Re: SX164 installation

=> On Wed 16 Sep 1998, Ettore Aldrovandi wrote:
=>
=> >   whether or not the Alpha is completely dead. Oh, the video
=> >   card is a Matrox Millennium II, with XF86_SVGA.
=>
=> I've had a couple of problems with the Millenium II as well, it crashes
=> equally spectacularly when trying 24 bpp, or when running xcrystal. I
=> was thinking of trying the Metrolink server announced here today.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that one. 24 bpp doesn't work for me either, but
that's not Debian specific, of course. It dies with RH as well. 16 bpp is
fine, though.

=> > o I'm still going with the RH Kernel. I discovered that the
=> >   Kernel that comes  with the resc disk fails to detect the
=> >   PS/2 mouse. So, as you can imagine, no gpm, no X. Might
=> >   this be related for some obscure (to me) reason to the
=> >   failure to load the ramdisk I and others observed?

=> BTW, you did remember to tell the kernel to assign 5MB for the ramdisk
=> instead of the default 4MB? "ramsize=5120k" or so, it's in the README
=> for the lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr boot floppies...

Yes, I did that.

=> If that's not the problem, it would be interesting to know what RH does
=> differently, so that their kernel works. Is their .config file
=> available?

It should be. My RH partition is still there, I can try to dig out
something.

=> As I've written previously, I use my XLT successfully with 2.0.36-pre-2,
=> no extra patches needed. See the "ISDN" subject for details.

Ok, good. Thanks a lot.

=> Paul Slootman
=> --
=> home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
=> http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands

--
Ettore Aldrovandi -- SISSA/International School for Advanced Studies
Via Beirut 2/4, I-34013 Trieste, Italy