Re: debian on ruffian

> On Monday, 14 Sep, David Monro wrote:
> >
> > 1a) The machine would crash after a while unless I told milo that there
> > was ony 224 rather than 256 M of memory (after reading about this
> > problem on axp-list).
> I want to investigate this problem.  I suspect that MILO's assumption
> that physical memory is always contiguous may be incorrect in some
> cases.  Do you have SRM console (at the moment I can only check it from
> SRM)?

No; as far as I am aware there is no SRM for Ruffian; for one thing it isn't
made by Compaq/Digital (it's a Deskstation design built by Samsung). If it
makes any difference I am using the ruffian MILO and bits from gatekeeper; I
couldn't get anything else to even start loading milo (but that may have been
the floppy drive). Ruffians don't use ARC or AlphaBIOS either; they come with
something called ARCSBIOS which is apparently different and worse.

> > 3) hwclock still complains about IOPL after the above fix. Is this
> > normal?
> The kernel must be compiled with RTC support enabled.  RedHat's
> precompiled kernels do not satisfy this requirement, as far as I
> remember...

Thanks; I'd just figured this out after rolling my own kernel and seeing the
problem go away :-)

        David