Re: Tulip driver broken on newer MIATAs

On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 02:45:51PM +0200, Kristoffer.Rose@ens-lyon.fr wrote:

> > Does anyone know how to make it work with the BNC/thinnet interface on a
> > UDB (DEC 21040 chip)?  It says that it doesn't find the "link pulse" for
> > 10baseT, then it switches automatically to AUI.  But it never tries BNC!
> > Investigation in the source code shows no reference to it whatsoever,
> > although there are several tests to see if if_port is or is not 0.
>
> You can set the device to use explicitly, as explained on the tulip driver
> page <URL: http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html> along
> with other things: that page is Very Useful.  It inly omits how to
> configure the non-module version: this is done with an
> "ether=0,0,<interface>,eth0" boot argument.

Thanks.  Setting the options= parameter didn't seem to help (it just keeps
choosing AUI) and the tulip-diags program seems to be horribly broken, but
the FAQ did mention that the de4x5 driver might work -- and it does for me!

I don't notice the low performance that someone mentioned suggested de4x5
might have -- I've gotten 900k/sec or so ftp, and that's talking to a
seriously braindead PCI NE2000 clone on a PC.

> > I've tested with kernels 2.0.32 and 2.1.103, where 2.1.103 is slightly
> > hacked up to compile properly on my alpha.  PLIP works, so I assume that my
> > hacks were relatively well-placed.
>
> I tried PLIP and it hung my machine :(  Could I bother you to send me your
> patches and .config files (both 2.0.33 and 2.1.103 interest me), please?

Sure, I'll send them to you personally.  If anyone else on the list needs a
copy, just ask.  My patches are somewhat evil though, and are almost
certainly not the "right" way to fix any of the compile problems.  (They're
technically correct, but show exceedingly bad coding style.)

> BTW, you should always quote your machine type (mine is Miata) in messages
> such as this so the Right Crowd will find your message (some of us search
> actively for such keywords).

I mentioned that it was a UDB (Digital's "Universal Desktop Box") but
perhaps I didn't make it prominent enough.

Have fun,

Avery