Re: Tulip driver broken on newer MIATAs

On Mon, May 25, 1998 at 07:45:00AM +0200, Kristoffer Rose wrote:

> Has anyone gotten the Tulip driver to work on newer Miatas (aka PWS500a)
> yet?
>
> With kernels 2.0.33 (using tulip.c 0.83 and 0.88) and 2.1.103 (using
> tulip.c 0.83 and 0.89H) I have the same problem (in both redhat and debian,
> as it were): The network interface simply does not work, even though the
> right interface is, in fact, selected.

I don't know, but on the topic of the tulip driver:

Does anyone know how to make it work with the BNC/thinnet interface on a UDB
(DEC 21040 chip)?  It says that it doesn't find the "link pulse" for
10baseT, then it switches automatically to AUI.  But it never tries BNC!
Investigation in the source code shows no reference to it whatsoever,
although there are several tests to see if if_port is or is not 0.

I've tested with kernels 2.0.32 and 2.1.103, where 2.1.103 is slightly
hacked up to compile properly on my alpha.  PLIP works, so I assume that my
hacks were relatively well-placed.

I know, thinnet is dead, but it's what I'm stuck with.  Any advice would be
happily welcomed!

Have fun,

Avery

P.S. I'm not on axp-list, but I am on debian-alpha.  Please cc: me any