PC164 kernel compilation help?

What we have is a dead-but-hopefully-repaired Alpha. You might remember
it, the 500 MHz/256 MB machine I've wanted to do automatic compilation
of Debian packages with. Or you might remember that I've told you before
that it has a tendency not to work...

Anyway, it's root disk died a week ago, and I barely got most of my files
copied out from there. It had worked so well enough for over a month that
I'd moved most of my personal computing on it. There's a backup, but the
only tape drive that can read it is on guess which system... (We haven't
bothered to move the drive to another system.)

Now we'd like to get it working again. The hard disks have been replaced.
The rescue floppy image from debian/hamm/main/disks-alpha/ (any of the
versions) don't work: the kernel loads, asks to mount the root image and
then it complains that it can't open the initial console. I suspect that
this is because the kernels have TGA compiled in (I've had problems with
TGA support on that machine, with only straight VGA it has worked).

Would anyone be willing to compile a custom kernel for us? One without
TGA support? It's a PC164 system, with an Adaptec 3940 wide SCSI adapter.
Further details available on request.

We'd be most grateful. Thanks.