Re: lchown/dpkg was dead, but I killed it again!

Loic Prylli wrote:

> It is at:
> http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/~lprylli/glibc/libc6.1_2.0.7u-7.1_alpha.deb
>
> As dpkg may be screwed in your current setting, you can install
> manually the libc file that I have just added:
> http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/~lprylli/glibc/libc-2.0.7.so
> Do not forget to make it executable before installation and to check
> the right symlink is there, and to do the switch atomically.

Okay, I can confirm that the libc-2.0.7.so file packed in the .deb will work, and
that the one linked to will not-- this may be my fault, however.  It seemed to
fix the problem with dpkg initially, but then, while trying to upgrade my
libstdc++2.9 to 60-1 from 58-5, I got,
dpkg: error processing libstdc++2.9_2.91.60-1.deb (--install):
 unable to chown backup symlink for 'usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.9': Function not
implemented

--
James S. Carlson   --   james.carlson@mandelcompany.com   --   414-271-6970 x510
Management Information Systems Administrator