Re: lchown/dpkg was dead, but I killed it again!

Loic Prylli wrote:

> As dpkg may be screwed in your current setting, you can install
> manually the libc file that I have just added:
> http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/~lprylli/glibc/libc-2.0.7.so
> Do not forget to make it executable before installation and to check
> the right symlink is there, and to do the switch atomically.

init: memory violation at pc=1555555ddc4 rp=1555555b754 (bad adress=00000008)
is what I get on startup of init, now, having replaced my old libc-2.0.7.so
(which was, I believe, from redhat) with the one you provided.  The procedure I
used was this:
1. I downloaded your file libc-2.0.7.so
2. I rebooted to a boot disk filesystem
3. I made a backup of the existing libc-2.0.7.so
4. I gave root ownership of the new libc-2.0.7.so
5. I set mode 755 on the new file
6. I rebooted.

What's odd is the difference in filesize between your new file and the one I had:

libc-2.0.7.so (new) 901549
libc-2.0.7.so.redhat 4462177

--
James S. Carlson   --   james.carlson@mandelcompany.com   --   414-271-6970 x510
Management Information Systems Administrator