Re: Jensen installation (was: 981115 jensen/resc1440.bin image bad?)

Peter Mott <mott@mathworks.com> writes:

> I have just completed installing linux on a Jensen. Below is a
> pointer the Jensen-HOWTO that worked for me. To make this
> installation work I actually dedicated a disk to aboot, because the
> RedHat 5.0 installation process wanted an fdisk style partition
> table on the target installation hard disk, while the aboot tools
> create a BSD partition table, needed by the SRM console to boot. I
> could not easily make these co-exist.

All that I know you can't make them coexist. They use the same
hardcoded block numbers for there partition tables just like anybody
else. You can't have two block 0's.

> I'd like to go through a debian installation, instead of
> RedHat. Give me the pointers to what you are using, and I'll go
> through the installation too.

Try exchanging the ramdisk used by redhat with the root.bin file used
by debian. After that you should have a debian install disk. I hope
the installation copes with BSD partitions, but if not, its a bug.

> (LOOKING FOR partition table documentation: Anyone have pointers to
> documentation on the disk structures and physical blocks used for
> these two partition tables?)

/usr/src/linux/... is a great source of information. But forget about
getting both partitioning schemes work together, it most like wont be
possible anyway.

> (LOOKING FOR fdisk/aboot coexistence: If someone knows how to get
> aboot to co-exists with an fdisk partition table I'd like to have a
> hint. The issue being a compatibility between what the SRM console
> needs to load aboot and the fdisk style partition table.)

For Linux you don't need PC style partitions, BSD partitions are just
fine. The Debian installdisks should recognise the BSD partitions, but
might not, which would be a bug. Creating BSD partitions directly is
not possible with the current install disks, but maybe you can work on
that. :)

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin