Re: Installing Linux on an AlphaServer 1000

 > On Tuesday, November 24 1998, at 15:32:49, Andrew Matheson wrote:
 > : Hi there!  I've been trying to install linux on the AlphaServer here.  It
 > : is a machine bought in 1994 with a 4/233MHz processor in it.  I've tried
 > : using the Mikasa and Noritake rescue disks, both resulting in a hung
 > : session just after the jump to the kernel image.  I am using MILO to do
 > : the install and I am using the suggested:
 > :
 > : 	MILO> boot fd0:linux root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
 > :

Hello,

I see you get up to the MILO prompt, I was not aware MILO is available
for this platform. Did you start from the SRM prompt (>>>>) or did you
use AlphaBIOS or Arc with the menus?

Where did you get your MILO?

I have just seen Nikita has a Mikasa MILO on its site, I am not sure
if anyone has tested that tough, and how was it compiled?

Roberto Lumbreras writes:
 > You can find in digital's site kernels and more info, but I think
 > you can use the Debian images for mikasa. The SRM howto will be
 > usefull for you... I can't remember the URL, but it's
 > distributted in Debian in one of the howtos packages, so it's ease
 > to find it.

Actually, if you use MILO, I am not sure the kernel on the rescue
disks will work for either mikasa or noritake, because they have been
compiled for SRM. But you should be able to use the rescue disks from
SRM with
">>>boot dva0 -file linux -flags "root=/dev/fd0 rw ramdisk_size=5120
     load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1"

Regards,

Loic