Re: AlphaPC 164LX questions; firmware, RedHat -> Debian, etc

Evil Twin <mullen@CES.ACES.UIUC.EDU> writes:

> A couple months ago I purchased a 164LX that came pre-installed with
> RedHat.  I *really* like the philosophies that drive Debian.  And I want
> to install Debian on this machine.
>
> Which of the distributions should I use; Hamm, Sid, Slink, Potato?
> Aren't a couple of them similar because of the freeze-pending release?
> Which site should I get the files from?  I've successfully used a
> Michigan site, but then Hamm was moved around and I was no longer
> successful using dselect via ftp (I haven't looked around at the ftp
> site to find out what the new path is).

Have a look at ftp.debian.org. There is a file listing the available
mirrors. Just test some of them for speed and take the best.

What you should install is Sid.

Hamm is the last release, containing i386 and m68k only.

Slink is the comming release containing i386 and m68k only.

Sid is the Developement corner, where new ports are being worked on. I
think the alpha port is frozen now as well, so it should move to slink
with the upcomming release.

Potato is the new unstable platform and any new stuff will go
there. If something doesn't work in Slink, have a look there and don't
forget to file a bug. :)

> I was also looking into verifying the most recent firmware for the
> alpha.  It has AlphaBIOS 5.62-1a from Oct 6, 1997.  Digital has a
> version 5.3 dated Oct 12, 1998.  But the numbering scheme has me a
> little messed up.  I'm very comfortable installing a new BIOS, I just
> want to make sure I'm not backsliding. ;-)

Is that neccessary? Probably not. Give the bootdisks a try. :)
You could put the milo into one of the Bios spaces later if you want.

> Tony -

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin