Re: UDB/ Multia v40(?) boot image

Christopher C Chimelis writes:

 > On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Loic Prylli wrote:
 >
 > > One of these days, we  should be able to compile a list of
 > > machines->architecture_codename  mappings.
 >
 > I have a link to such a doc on the web page (under Links).  It's also in
 > the Alpha FAQ (which is where the link points).  I can redo this locally
 > on the web page, if you think it's wise.

Yes, there are several good sources of Alpha systems descriptions
including the Alpha FAQ, or the MILO-systype files from gatekeeper
(and also the Redhat listing at
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/RHL-5.2-Manual/alpha-inst/booklet/doc009.html).

The problem is that depending on the context, different codenames are
used for the Alpha architectures. The milo and kernels names of
gatekeeper varies slightly from the arch parameters you pass to the
kernel (+ transformed into 'p', abbreviation for of long archs,noname
<->udb-noname,...). I suggest that for every architecture we keep the
same codename, for instance the one used for kernel configuration.
That would apply for milos, kernels, install disks and kernel
packages.

So it may be useful to have a Debian table that allows to map every
possible Alpha machine name to a _consistent_ codename (maybe the fact
that Compaq/Digital sometimes introduce different naming scheme for
the same machine should also appear to avoid confusion).

Loic

.