Re: Working compiler?

On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 04:07:10PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Loic Prylli <Loic.Prylli@ens-lyon.fr> writes:
>
> > It looks to me egcs-1.0.3a was very stable. No problem for all C
> > programs I have encountered. I currently use this version, it is easy
>
> Right.  But -- I need something that works with C++ as well if I am
> going to be doing autocompiles.  So I am naturally concerned that
> "gcc" does the right thing for C programs and "g++" does the right
> thing for C++ programs.

Just did a compile of KDE, all C++ code. The KDE packages compile
just fine using egcs-1.0.3a, using -O2 optimization. Seem to work OK also.
I tried most of the egcs-1.1b releases to compile these packages, always
bailing out on internal compiler errors.

Now I'm on it, the integrated browser in KDE is in my opinion on of the best
alternatives available on Linux/Alpha (I use it quite a lot). I know of the
QT license issues, but is it legal to make the KDE debs available on the kde
ftp site? The i386 debs are still available on their site, although the
source debs seem to have gone. As far as I know there never were alpha debs
on this site. I just think it's important to have these alpha debs availiable
somewhere, just for those people who like KDE (like me).

Henk-Jan.