Working compiler?

John Goerzen writes:
 > [...] the question is: how close are we to having a decent
 > compiler?
 >
 > One of the powerpc folks pointed out that our egcs is rather outdated
 > compared to theirs (which apparently tracks CVS).  Somebody here
 > suggested an older version of egcs.  I don't care which, just so long
 > as we get SOMETHING that works :-)

It looks to me egcs-1.0.3a was very stable. No problem for all C
programs I have encountered. I currently use this version, it is easy
to recompile it from the source package in hamm (I have put the
resulting packages in http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr/~lprylli/egcs)

There is another package on ftp://genie.ucd.ie/pub/alpha/debian

And Christopher is working on combining a stable gcc with the need for
libstdc++

Loic