Re: Faure upgrade

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Joel Klecker wrote:
>
> > Yes, but on at least alpha and powerpc 'init u' acts as 'init s' for some
> > reason. This does such things as run fsck on live filesystems and other
> > nastiness. 'init u' is supposed to save init's state and re-exec it, it
> > should not have the effect of changing runlevels.
>
> When this gets fixed could someone please email the list? I'm not going to
> upgrade faure while this bug is around, too risky from remote!

	I also just upgrade by Alpha box to from one week ago's slink to
yesterday's slink. The only times I hit the init "bug" was in upgrading
init itself and libc6.1, everything else caused no problems (though you
can be sure I kept a close eye on it!). Maybe when a new version of a
package is uploaded to slink that requires 'init u' to be executed, a
message should be posted to this list, or some sort of message displayed
before the install is actually executed (sort of like what pcmcia-cs
install does in asking you if it can shut down the pcmcia services before
install). Just a thought from another brave (or should that be crazy)
upgrader. :)

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat@nag.cs.colorado.edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |