Re: Alpha Kernels

Christopher C Chimelis <chris@beezer.med.miami.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Guenter Geiger wrote:

>> In fact the best thing would be to use the most stable version as
>> our default ... obviously

> Yes and no.  I think that now that we're up to libstdc++2.9, it wouldn't
> be great to revert totally.  I'd like to use a stable gcc as long as we
> can keep the current libstdc++ and libg++.

Why not do it as with i386:
cc  - a good, safe and stable gcc (egcs 1.0.3a or whatever the best is
      for alpha)
c++ - a current snapshot of eg++, that handles exceptions, templates
      and other c++ goodies correctly.

cc and c++ must not be the same version and for cc stability is more
important than anything, because low level is compiled with it
(kernel, glibc,...).

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn