Re: SVGAlib...the neverending saga

On 29 Oct 1998, Brederlow wrote:

> WHY?
> Svgalib is a dirty, ugly and stupid programm that crashes your Linux
> most of the time. Its the only way to sure kill your Linux apart from
> kill -9 -1 while X is running.

Agreed....unfortunately, it's somewhat of a throwback that we need to deal
with a bit.  I'd also like to know one way or another if it actually works
on the Alpha to let the upstream author(s) know since they include "it
works" in their docs... :-)

> Your time is probably better invested in getting ggi to work in a
> framebuffer and then use ggi`s svgalib emulation. The speed penalty
> (if any) should be pretty irelevant on an Alpha. The GGI is quite
> superior to the svgalib.

True and a great idea.  I haven't had time to look at it, but since I hit
a small brick wall with svgalib, I'll look into it.  Thanks for the
suggestion!