Re: Various problems compiling packages (+ binutils broken?)

On Tue 27 Oct 1998, Brederlow wrote:

> I comiled (or tried to) several packages for Alpha and hit some
> problems here and there:
>
> X11: lots of "conversion for pointer to int of different size"
> also in many other packages
>
> Would you say that those warnings are bugs of the package, because it
> makes them possible crash on "int != void *" archs?

I've seen that many X toolkits misuse pointers to sometimes pass
e.g. boolean values. On these, the warnings aren't a real problem
(besides the fact this usage isn't efficient; they should use
unions instead).

> config.guess: alphapca56-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> Several programs using config.guess can't handle alpha flavours and
> most (if not all) don't care anyway. Maybe config.guess should just
> say alpha-unknown-linux-gnu there.

Try the new autoconf package, things should be better in that respect
(config.guess generated alphapca56-unknown-linux-gnu which wasn't
understood by the config.sub or whatever; that should now be fixed).

> fakeroot: unaligned traps
>           segfaults (specially with "fakeroot debian/rules binary")
>              That might be a "conversion of pointer to int" problem
>              with libtrix.

Hmm, I've seen plenty of unaligned traps from fakeroot (every time, in
fact), but no segfaults. Maybe I'm using an older fakeroot.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands